So what is this lifestyle balance everyone – particularly women – are so eager to have? And why is this balance so difficult to achieve?
For a lot of us, we find ourselves in the opposite scenario. We find ourselves over-committing. We over-commit and over-commit, and then; we burn out. Sometimes we can even spend more energy worrying about burning out, rather than enjoying the precious moments we find ourselves in.
Does this sound familiar? Well, you are not alone! Women all over the world experience these feelings throughout different stages in their life. Through study, working, having a relationship, having a family, going back to work – women are constantly trying to juggle priorities. And this is no easy feat.
Balancing life is not easy. But it’s worth it. Why? Because it’s about knowing that our relationship with ourselves is one of the most important relationships we will ever have – and so we need to nurture it. So, here’s some helpful applications to use that the Lumi ladies have learnt through much trial and error, to seek a lifestyle balance:
1. Start your day in solitude. This could mean 10 minutes of meditation, having a cuppa alone, doing some yoga, or reading. It centers and focuses you, wakes you up, and allows you to start the day. And yes, it might mean getting up earlier – but you’re getting up FOR YOU.
2. Exercise regularly: we know, we know – Easy to say, hard to do, right? So start small. Do 10 minutes of stretching, go for a walk at lunchtime, ride your bike to a cafe. You’ll be surprised how fun it can be – and once you start enjoying it, you’ll be surprised how much you miss it!
3. Work smarter. Instead of working 12 hours a day, work less – productively. Hours worked don’t equal productivity. So take lunch breaks, go for walks, and catch up with colleagues for coffee – because this all increases your ability to focus and be productive.
4. Learn how to say ‘no’. This means drawing boundaries, which can be hard for women in all parts of life. You can’t catch up with everyone all the time. You can’t do every single task for a whole department. You can’t be perfect in a relationship or as a parent. And you can’t CONTROL how other people feel. Learn boundaries, and you will feel more free – we promise!
5. Have me-time. This could be having a little snack on the couch after to work to breathe, reading a book at lunch-time, going to a fitness class, going for a walk, anything – as long as it makes you feel renewed. With me-time, your relationship with yourself can grow, and your love of yourself can flourish. It’s also an opportunity to take time out of your busy lives to reflect on yourself, your goals and your vision.
Work Life Balance is not about a quick fix – we are human beings and won’t achieve a daily balance perfectly. It takes commitment, and yes – discipline – but with all this hard work, you can learn about yourself, find peace and find freedom.